Saturday, August 20, 2011

Nogueira: I won't train with a gay fighter


By Neil Davidson, Canadian Press via AP
Two-time champion Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira says he won't grapple with gay students.
Nogueira has qualms about training with homosexuals, judging by quotes published Friday by UOL Esporte. The winner of heavyweight titles in Pride Fighting Championships and the Ultimate Fighting Championship expressed concerns about the physical contact.
Bloody Elbow has a translation from the Portuguese article:
"I have no prejudice against the gays, but I wouldn't train with someone who's gay. I have no malice, I don't take our physical contact as (something) sexual. But what if the gay person has that malice of having physical contact with me, of staying there grappling? I would have no problems having a gay student in my academy, but I would rather not train with him."
Next week's UFC 134 card in Rio de Janeiro includes a bout between Nogueira and Brendan Schaub. Injuries have kept Nogueira out of action since a February 2010 loss to Cain Velasquez.

Contact Us

JRMusicCorp@gmail.com

Share

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites